My PAR Lesson
I am interested in doing a lesson plan for a second grade class. I would like to combine science and language arts. Maybe by incorporating a non-fiction book or a book that teaches some element of a concept (Ex. The Storm Book, The Cloud Book). This book does not necessarily have to "obviously" teach about a subject in science like a non-fiction book would. It could be embedded into a book and the students do not recognize that they are learning about a topic. A book that tells a story but is not obviously teaching about something. I think that it will keep the student's attention. (NOTE TO REVIEWER: I realize that this lesson plan is just ideas and has no formality. I am working on coming up with ideas!).
SOL: Science
2.6 The
student will investigate and understand basic types, changes, and patterns of
weather. Key concepts include
a) identification
of common storms and other weather phenomena;b) the uses and importance of measuring, recording, and interpreting weather data; and
c) the uses and importance of tracking weather data over time.
Overview
In K.9 students conduct
weather observations. In 1.6 and 1.7 students are introduced to the concept
that the sun is the source of energy for Earth, and that the sun’s energy and
precipitation affect people and other living things. In 2.6 students
investigate and understand types of weather and weather patterns and measure
and record current weather data. Students also explore the uses of tracking
weather data over time. It is intended that students will actively develop and
utilize scientific investigation, reasoning, and logic skills (2.1) in the
context of the key concepts presented in this standard.
2.6 The student will use semantic clues and syntax to expand vocabulary when reading.
a) Use information in the story to read words.
b) Use knowledge of sentence structure.
c) Use knowledge of story structure and sequence.
d) Reread and self-correct.
2.7 The student will expand vocabulary when reading
d) Discuss meanings of words and develop vocabulary by listening and reading a variety of texts.
e) Use vocabulary from other content areas.
2.9 The student will read and demonstrate comprehension of nonfiction texts.
a) Preview the selection using text features.
b) Make and confirm predictions about the main idea.
c) Use prior and background knowledge as context for new learning.
d) Set purpose for reading.
e) Ask and answer questions about what is read.
f) Locate information to answer questions.
g) Identify the main idea.
h) Read and reread familiar passages with fluency, accuracy, and meaningful expression.
2.10 The student will demonstrate comprehension of information in reference materials.
a) Use table of contents.
b) Use pictures, captions, and charts.
c) Use dictionaries, glossaries, and indices.
d) Use online resources.
P- I will ask the students engaging questions such as: What is weather? What is thunder? What is lightening? Where does rain come from? This will motivate and get the students interested to learn about weather. I really like the pre-learning concept check in the book (p. 61). It helps the students to define their knowledge on a subject and helps the teacher to see how much the students already know. This may or may not work for second graders because they may feel that not knowing something is not good (they may check something that they have no knowledge on). I could do a K-W-L with them as a group or independently or some sort of graphic organizer on what they know.
A- I will incorporate non-fiction books about weather and climate for comprehension about the topic. I will relate weather to their everyday life (the students have to plan on what they will wear based on weather). I may incorporate a poem or ask the students to create a poem about weather. During this section of the lesson, the teacher will help the students to clear up any misconceptions that they may have about this topic.
R- How will I help my students reflect on the reading?
I will help my students reflect on the reading by allowing them to think critically by using think-pair-share.
1 comment:
Let me start off by saying: I love the concept of this lesson. I believe that 2nd graders are going to have so much fun working on this. Allison, I do think that you should add more strategies to your lesson. I think the preparation phrase, you have, is a perfect way to start off the lesson. By asking them questions that relate to their everyday lives, will definitely interest them. I think it might be great to do a KWL chart as a whole group while you are asking your students questions. Also, analyzing the misconceptions should be a focus point for the assist phrase--- that is just a suggestion.
Post a Comment