Monday, February 17, 2014

Learning Blog # 4

This post refers to a reading from:

Richardson, J., Morgan, R., & Fleener, C. (2011). Reading to learn in the content areas. (8th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth
 
Chapter 5: Learning through Reflection
 
 
I think that this chapter is spot on when it talks about how critical thinking needs to be taught in every grade.  Why save critical thinking for upper grades?  Elementary age students would respond very well to a lesson in which critical thinking is encouraged if the teacher presents it correctly.

 I disagree with the idea that at-risk learners may not have the skills to critical think.  I think that if the teacher is presenting the material effectively, then the students will respond positively.  If the teacher is afraid of their at-risk learners not responding as their peers are to critical thinking, then the teacher could put the students into small groups so they could collaborate ideas.  I think that it is a great idea to teach critical thinking skills in a group setting.  I remember when I first started learning critical thinking skills.  Talking with other students and listening to their ideas helped me formulate new ideas or think about something in a new light. 

The book talks about how some teachers associate critical thinking with the word critical,
as in "...find[ing] fault and emphasizing the negative" (Richardson, 2011, p. 112).  I think that teachers can and should teach skills of being critical and also skills of thinking smart.  The student should be directed that there are times in which they are asked to be critical and there are times in which they should think smart.  This will help the students to associate critical thinking as a higher-order of thinking as opposed to emphasizing negative.   

*An example of how to lead a critical thinking lesson for elementary students could be a web quest.  I created a web quest for third grade students within my first STEM class at Old Dominion University.  Here is the link to it if you would like to check it out:  C:\Users\Allison\Documents\TLED\webquest_files\frame.htm .
This web quest allowed them to use critical thinking skills to create a new layout for the Norfolk Zoo.  The students will have to use concepts of predator/prey to formulate ideas about the rearrangement of the zoo so all of the animals remain safe.

         
 
 
  


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! I think it would be very beneficial for students to learn critical thinking skills earlier in their academic career. It is something that takes practice before mastering the skill, and until then, critical thinking activities can be somewhat intimidating. Until later middle school, I wasn't encouraged, or given the opportunity to practice active critical thinking. When presented with a similar activity that was suggested in this chapter, the double-entry journals, I was completely lost and overwhelmed. I remember thinking, "What am I supposed to write in the right column?" Over time though, after much practice, I noticed a significant difference in how I read. Almost all of my books have notes in the margins, because I am an analytical reader.

Unknown said...

I don’t think there is a good reason to save critical thinking for upper grades. I think adults in general underestimate the abilities of young children. They are very capable of using the skills associated with critical thinking when it is properly model, and they are allowed the time to practice daily. I think that is the key.